Friendship-Lesson 1: What is a friend?
Key Scripture: "A friend loveth at all times,
and a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17
I. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A BEST FRIEND
A. Do you have a BEST FRIEND?
B. What would you miss without your best friend?
C. Christ had BEST FRIENDS.
II. LIFE WITHOUT A BEST FRIEND
A. Lonely; "Two are better than one..." Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12. Charles
Spurgeon said, "Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life. Many
might have failed beneath the bitterness of their trial had they not found a
B. A false friend is a liability.
1. Prodigal son had many "friends" while life was good.
2. How false friends are attracted:
-Money, Proverbs 14:20; 19:4
-Flattery, Proverbs 29:5
3. False friends are absent in times of trouble.
-Job's friends deserted him when he needed them most.
-Note: Job's perception of them. Job 6:14, Job 19:14, Job 19:19
III. WHAT IS A FRIEND?
A. --One who knows you.
-One who steps in when the whole world steps out.
-One who never gets in the way, except when you are on your way down.
B. One Who loves you. Proverbs 17:17, John 15:13,1 John 3:16
C. One who protects you.
-David and Jonathan; I Samuel Chapters 19-20
D. One who helps when you are in real need.
-Samaritan, Luke 10:30-37 Who was the real friend?
E. One who is loyal.
-(Quote Sam Davis)
F. One who brings out the best in you. Proverbs 27:17
-Sharpening is not achieved by:
G. One who is interested in my spiritual well-being.
-No friend influences you away from God. Deuteronomy 13:6-11
-A friend will explain my need for God; His love and friendshi'p to me,
and how I can be a friend of God...that's our next study.
1. What common interests do I have with my friend?
2. Would my friend be offended if he knew what I said behind his back last
3. Do I listen to my friend when he comes to me with a problem?
4. When was the last time I prayed for my friend's needs?
5. Am I certain my friend is saved? Have I ever taken the time to present
God's plan of salvation to him?
Friendship-Lesson 2: How to be a Friend of God
Key Scripture: "A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."- Proverbs 18:24 NIV
I. THE GREATEST OPPORTUNITY AFFORDED MAN:
A. Who would you select as a friend if you had a choice?
1. T.V. personalities
2. Wealthy businessmen
3. President of a large bank
4. Owner of a 30 foot yacht
B. You can have a friend greater than these-GOD!
C. God seeks opportunity to enjoy His creation-MAN.
' 1 God came to visit Adam and Eve after they sinned. Genesis 3.8
2. Abraham, "the friend of God". James 2:23
D. Christ claimed friends.
1. Publicans and sinners, Matthew 11:19
2. By bringing man back to God. II Corinthians 5:17-21
E. One-Sided friendship, poalmi
1. Often man does not befriend God even though God wants him. Psalms
2. Jesus held out to the end for his friend, Judas. Matthew 26:50
II. WHAT IS A FRIEND OF GOD?
A. One who knows God personally.
B. A friend of God is interested in the things of God. I John 2.15 James 4.4
C. A friend of God enjoys God's fellowship.
1. Prayer is our communication with Him.
2. Today we enjoy His friendship by:
A. Prayer Hebrews 4:16
B. Christian Fellowship Matthew 18:19-20
D. A friend of God is loyal to the cause of Christ.
1. After 90 years of age Abraham was still faithfal to God without the
fulfillment of the promised son. Hebrews
2. Faithful enough to be willing to kill his son. Genesis 22.1-14, Hebrews
3. God wants loyalty from friends today. Matthew 10:37
III. HOW TO BECOME A FRIEND OF GOD.
A. By faith:
1. Abraham's way. James 2:23
2. Must be our way. Hebrews 11:6
3. Recognize ourselves as sinners. Romans 3:23 Christ died for us.
B. By obedience: John 15:14
1. Obedience is our duty. Luke 17:10
2. Believers are to be baptized into Christ. Romans 6:3-4
C. Through fellowship:
1. Friends stick closer than brothers. Proverbs 18:24
2. As our closest friend we will stick to Christ.
3. Acts 2:42